- Before putting on the respirator, wash hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or rub hands together thoroughly with alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
- Take care not to touch the inside layer of the respirator that will be in contact with the nose and mouth when unpacking and while donning.
- Check for defects in the face respirator such as tears or broken loops.
- Position the label side of the respirator outward and orient the respirator so that the foam nose bridge strip is at the top.
- Unfold the respirator while holding onto the edges (again being careful not to touch the area that will be in contact with the nose and mouth). Position the unfolded respirator over the nose and mouth and place one ear loop over each ear.
- Mould the nose bridge wire to the bridge of the nose and while pinching the nose bridge in place stretch the bottom of the respirator to over the chin. Press along the edges of the respirator to maximise the seal.
- Avoid touching the respirator while using it; if touched, clean hands with alcohol-based hand sanitiser or soap and water.
- Replace respirator if it becomes obviously contaminated; never reuse single-use respirators.
Removing the respirator
Wash hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitiser before removing the respirator. Remove the respirator by unhooking the ear loops, taking care not to touch the front of the respirator which might have become contaminated. Discard immediately in a closed bin and clean hands with alcohol-based hand sanitiser or soap and water.